Beyond the Diag - Off Campus Housing

Snow covered road

Winter is here! Ann Arbor is becoming even more attractive and mysterious with snow covering the city. Winter is a perfect time to get close to your loved ones and cuddle under a blanket. However, everything has two sides. While people are appreciating the beauty of this wonderland, off campus students may wonder when spring is coming as they are facing a hard time commuting to campus.

Here are some tips for every commuter during this winter season.

1. Bundle up
Well, this is something a parent would say and it is a bit tedious. However, this is still the most important and effective method to survive the winter. Make sure you wear stuff that you can take off: layers are important! Despite how cold it is outside, the classrooms can be hot, so do not wearing something that may prove extremely difficult to take off.

2. Check the weather
This is also important for commuters because they can’t go home real quick to change if the weather changes midday. If there’s even the slightest chance of rain, bring an umbrella. The slightest chance of snow? Wear boots. Sometimes you may deny your phone the trust it deserves on the days when it says there’s a 30 percent chance of rain and opt to side with the 70 percent chance it won’t rain, only to find yourself drenched.

3. Stay charged
If you bring your laptop to class, bring your charger with you, and the same goes for your phone charger. It’s the strangest thing, but whenever you may be outside, your phone battery tends to die even more quickly. Also, cold weather wreaks havoc on electronics. So even if it’s at 100 percent when you leave home and there’s not a long day ahead of you, don’t take a chance.

4. Track the shuttles
If your commute involves shuttles or public transportation, always check the times before you leave your nice, warm building. Many apps like Transit ARB offer real-time arrivals. So if there are any delays, ensure you know about them to avoid freezing outside waiting for the bus. Head out a few minutes early because you don’t know how long it will take you to get to the stop, in the case of rain or snow. Map out your time wisely.

That’s about all I’ve got for you. I hope this advice can help you get through what’s left of this brutally frigid season! Stay warm and go blue!

 

-Contributed by Peng G., Neighborhood Ambassador