Even though it is the middle of the winter season and Ann Arbor is just now experiencing its full effects, we all know it may only get worse! Whether you love or hate the snow, it’s inevitable. The snow and ice can mean sledding, ice skating, and snowball fights. However, it also means necessary precautions should be taken, and we all need to remember the tips and tricks that help us survive every winter.
If you have a car, remember these tips as you make your way over to Meijer to buy some hot chocolate ingredients.
1.Give yourself some extra time. Travelling with snow and ice means you should lower your speed and take your time to stop and turn in order to prevent accidents.
2. Make sure you keep an ice scraper in your car. Odds are you’ll need it most weeks to be able to see. It also might not be a bad idea to keep some gloves in your car for when you do need to scrape or if your wheel is extra cold.
3. Keep an eye out for snow plows. Luckily for us, Ann Arbor has a great tracking device so you can see where the snow trucks are to either avoid them or know when they will be plowing your street.
If you don’t have a car then you don’t have to deal with all these extra precautions! For day to day tips, keep these in mind.
1. Keep an eye on the weather. If you see a big storm is supposed to hit, make sure to get your errands done beforehand in case the weather prevents you from reaching your destination.
2. Buy the necessary supplies. Make sure you have a good shovel and lots of salt so you don’t slip on the ice every time you leave your house.
3. It is better to overdress! If you’re between two coats, chose the warmer and you can always unzip it. Also, be sure to have hats and gloves on you at all times!
-Contributed by Caitlin R., Neighborhood Ambassador