U-M Travel Registry and Insurance


As we are approaching the summer travel season, we wanted to provide important guidance and resources for those planning to travel abroad. We urge all U-M students and current faculty and staff traveling abroad - even on personal travel - to plan for the unexpected with U-M’s affordable and comprehensive Travel Abroad Health Insurance through GeoBlue.

Summer travel tips include:

1. Register your international travel with the U-M:

  • Travel registration is used to quickly and accurately locate U-M travelers abroad in case of an emergency. 
  • Travel registration is required for faculty, staff, and students on U-M Related Travel and is optional for those traveling for personal reasons.

2. Ensure you are covered by GeoBlue, U-M’s Travel Abroad Health Insurance:

Personal Travel

  • U-M students and current faculty and staff traveling internationally for personal reasons can purchase GeoBlue (Leisure Plan) for $1.57 per day. 
  • Partners, spouses, and dependents under the age of 26 traveling with you are also eligible for coverage. 

U-M Related Travel

3. Review the General Emergency Protocols document:

  • The General Emergency Protocols document outlines steps and resources for U-M travelers abroad in need of emergency support from the university
  • After attending to immediate safety / wellness concerns, U-M travelers abroad can contact U-M Division of Public Safety and Security (DPSS) for additional support in the event of an emergency:
    • +1 734-763-1131 (Ann Arbor)
    • +1 313-593-5333 (Dearborn)
    • +1 810-762-3333 (Flint) 

We wish you a safe and healthy journey wherever your travels may take you.