St. Patrick’s Day is always a fun and festive day on campus. If we’re lucky, the weather is starting to get a bit warmer and midterms are in a lull so we can enjoy celebrating with friends. This year St Patrick’s Day falls on a Friday, so while you’re getting ready for the weekend celebrations, make sure to keep these things in mind to keep your safety in check:
- St. Patrick’s Day often involves celebrations with alcohol. The Stay in the Blue app is a great way to keep track of how much you are drinking, and helps you maintain a healthy blood alcohol content. It has contact information for local cabs and resources to keep you safe in case an emergency does arrise!
- After such a long winter, everyone is always so excited when it is coming to an end. Just remember to stay warm and dress weather appropriate. Although it may not seem too cold when you are heading out or drinking, after more than just a few minutes the cold can start to set in and do real damage. By dressing in layers you can ensure that you are warm and still able to wear what you want.
- Make sure to eat before going out! There are tons of St. Patrick’s Day related specials, such as green Bruegger's Bagels. Taking advantage of these deals makes the day that much better, and makes sure to keep you safe if you are planning on drinking.
- Use the buddy system! Many Ann Arborites host visitors over the weekend, so make sure to take care of one another and know where your friends are. Not only is it more fun to move around campus and town with friends, but checking in with one another ensures that everyone is able to enjoy the day and stay safe.
- If you see something, say something! Contact DPSS.
- Check out which establishments have completed the Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center's (SAPAC) Raise the Bar Training and are prepared to be proactive bystanders.
Learn more St. Patrick's Day Safety Tips from the Divison of Public Safety and Security on the Dean of Students Office website.
Contributed By: Courtney Maliszewski