Beyond the Diag - Off Campus Housing


The University does not provide protection against lost, damaged or stolen personal property or for injury to anyone (tenant, guest or visitor) in off-campus housing as a result of their own actions or the actions of others.

The Dean of Students Office and Beyond the Diag Program encourage you to obtain renter’s insurance as you move in to off-campus housing. In the past, some students have found themselves in very difficult situations, because they were not protected by being properly insured. Most leases state that the landlord is not responsible for damages resulting from theft, fire and/or flood, unless found negligent. Do not wait until you experience a loss or someone is injured. Many landlords strongly recommend or require you to have renter’s insurance, and it provides peace of mind for a small investment.

Renter’s insurance has the same purpose as homeowner’s insurance. It can ensure that you are reimbursed for losses if your personal property is lost, stolen or damaged. It may cover injuries to guests and/or visitors. It is important that you understand the specific terms and costs of any insurance policy before you sign on the dotted line. Not all insurance policies cover the same losses, so make sure you know specifically what is covered in the policy that you are considering.