Although Valentine's Day is a holiday focused on couples in love, this holiday also creates an opportunity to extend your appreciation and gratitude to the larger network of individuals that influence your life. The holiday’s message of love and admiration should not be restricted to romantic couples, but also extended to the larger network of individuals who influence our lives.
There are many ways we can celebrate this holiday together, by sharing love and respect with the people who impact our lives on a regular basis. Take this moment to show the people in your network how important they are by sharing affection through:
- Spending time together
- Phone Calls/Video Chatting
- Venturing out and making new friends
- Cook/bake food and treats together
- Reaching out via email/text with messages of appreciation
Here are some brief messages you can share with the friends and family to show them how much you care about them:
- Roses are red, violets are blue, you are a true friend, and I appreciate you!
- Having a supportive friend like you makes me feel special every day of the year, not just on Valentine's Day. Thanks for being such a great friend this year!
- You are my Valentine's Day ally. It's nice to have a good friend like you on my team. Sending warm regards to a great friend today!
- I just want to say thank you for being such a great friend to me. Your loyalty is unfailing.
- I feel loved this Valentine's Day knowing that I have you as a friend. You're my best friend and the best Valentine!
Contributed by: Kidada Malloy, Expext Respect Program Assistant