Frostbite is the most common injury that occurs from being outside in the severe cold.
Here are some tips to avoid frostbite:
- Protect exposed skin!
- Wear a hat to avoid heat loss from the scalp
- If you’re out in the cold for extended periods of time stay active to maintain body warmth
- Dress warmly, and in multiple layers
Here are some common signs of Frostbite:
- The feeling of “pins and needles” followed by numbness
- Hard, pale and cold skin that’s been exposed to the cold for too long
- Aching or throbbing in the affected area
- As the affected area thaws, it may be increasingly painful and red
Contributed by Emily Lustig